4705 S 129th East Ave
Job Category: IT
Job Number: 5060
Sr. Security Engineer
Primary Purpose of job:
The Senior Security Engineer position is responsible for effectively leading the design and implementation of security solutions for the company. This position needs to intently focus on prioritization and always seek improvement of processes and tools. A successful Senior Security Engineer will have a multidisciplinary background beyond cyber security, in fields such as client and server systems, networking, and application development. The Sr. Engineer must thrive in fast-paced, high-stress situations. This position is heavily reliant on teamwork, and is responsible for mentorship of other engineering staff as well as assisting the Cyber Security Manager in coordinating workload.
The Sr. Engineer is responsible for the defense and protection of the company' s computer systems, information, and networks from intentional and unintentional access, modification or destruction by effectively engineering and implementing all information security systems. This position will interface with the user and technology communities to understand their security needs and implement solutions to accommodate them. Provide Tier 3 technical support for all information security related solutions and security related incidents and issues. Provide technical design and engineering guidance for other Security Engineers and architecture. Work with the CSOC Lead to coordinate engineering activities with operations.
List the major functions for this position:
1. Effectively implement Cyber Security solutions as part of a delivery team, and within internal Cyber Security projects.
- Lead, plan, design, and implement solution designs at a high-quality level in waterfall or agile projects with other Cyber Security staff.
- Consult with users and technical staff to evaluate requirements, recommend designs, provide cost analysis, plan projects and coordinate tasks for installation of security solutions.
- Engineer and implement network defense-in-depth, endpoint protection\audit and security analytics technology solutions.
- Engineer and implement data loss prevention, multi-factor authentication and password vault or brokering technology solutions.
- Engineer and implement detective technologies that will evaluate or correlate system and application information to indicate a potential security incident.
- Train other engineers and analysts on security procedures and use of tools.
- Work with the Architecture groups to refine reference architectures and provide an integrated security environment.
2. Provide expert-level security support for the IT department and the Company at large.
- Troubleshoot, analyze, and resolve complex security issues and incidents.
- Provide guidance and leadership to the Security Engineering team and CSOC analysts.
- Resolve problems and communicate solution to customers.
- Provide high-level technical support and assistance to the CSOC in the resolution of complex issues. Act as a point of escalation.
- Mentor less experienced security engineering personnel. Coordinate and participate in training, lunch and learns, and other peer information sharing activities.
- Participate in and/or lead the training of new cyber security employees.
- Liaison with vendors, business partners and customers to ensure timely resolution of issues.
- Work with the CSOC Lead to conduct red-team/blue-team exercise to evaluate and optimize the incident response process.
3. Stay abreast of Information Security threats, protection techniques and technologies to drive company technology forward.
- Research, develop and stay current on detection, testing, forensics and incident response tools and techniques in support of security event and incident response.
- Participate in the evaluation and recommendation of security products, services and/or procedures.
- Help develop security awareness content and provide education on security policies and practices both internal and external to the group.
4. Provide and update security solution documentation, processes and procedures
- Complete documentation as required for project management process. Maintain accurate and updated drawings and associated processes and procedures for all projects.
- Provide support documentation for transition of projects to the CSOC.
- Provide procedural documentation in support of solutions or end users.
- Routinely evaluate documentation provided by Security Engineering staff to ensure complete coverage of required diagrams, support articles, and other necessary documentation.
5. Research and recommend security standards for connected network devices or applications.
- Research security best practices for configurations and security standards.
- Work with other Engineering teams to develop hardening/security guidelines.
- Participate in the evaluation of network security and policy configurations and recommend changes as necessary to the Network Engineering group.
- Bachelor’ s degree or equivalent work experience. Technical courses in IT Security.
- Bachelor’ s degree in Cyber Security or 4 year college degree in a technology related field. Multiple industry certifications in Security, Systems Administration and/or Networking such as CISSP, CEH, CISM, ISSEP.
- 6+ years of security engineering or analyst experience in large, complex corporate environments, particularly in multi-state retail. Advanced experience with network defense, endpoint protection, forensics, data protection, and incident response. Additional experience with Networking or System Administration in a large, complex compute environment.
- 8+ years of experience and advanced knowledge in supporting and building large, complex security environments. Experience leading and/or mentoring junior personnel. Experience planning and implementing a technical backlog to drive continuous improvement of technology and practices.
- Advanced knowledge of next generation firewalls, DLP, advanced endpoint protection, IDS\IPS, SIEM tools and practices, forensic tools and Vulnerability Management . Strong written and oral communication skills including documentation. Ability to work with little direct supervision, and to foster a team environment. Ability to seek out and implement ways to help other team members to be successful.
- Knowledge of PCI-DSS and application of payment security controls. Working experience with Active Directory and Microsoft servers, Linux, Cisco networking, network access control, identity and access management, web filtering, wireless networking & security and patch management. Understanding of encryption systems and methodology.