6655 S Yale Ave
Job Category: IT
Job Number: 4728
Sr. Network Engineer
Responsible for management of a full-service, integrated information services environment. Responsible for information systems design, technology planning and direction, system security and data integrity, and software and hardware resources to meet current and future scientific and administrative needs of the institution. Oversees all departmental personnel and departmental budget. Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Support & Service - Plans and manages the design, development, installation, and support of computing and network support services for the organization. Responsible for hardware, network integration, software, and customer service. Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Engineering - Responsible for new system development and implementation, and current system enhancements and improvements. Reviews, evaluates, and develops proposals for new hardware, software, security measures and/or upgrades, as appropriate. Plans and coordinates the analysis, design, programming, timely implementation, and testing of applications projects.
- Supervision - Oversees all personnel in the department.
- Policies and Regulatory Responsibilities- Stays current with federal and state laws and regulations in regard to data storage, security, and privacy. Participates in development of, and responsible for implementation of, policies and procedures necessary for meeting these regulatory mandates. Serves on LIBR Compliance Team to coordinate institutional initiatives in privacy, data security, grants management, financial operations, and other aspects of research and institutional compliance.
- Documentation/Training/Knowledge – Documents IS processes and procedures. Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems, and ensures currency of skills among staff within the department.
- Education -- Develops and delivers educational program to all institutional staff for IS policies, etc.
- Planning – Responsible for working with scientific and administrative staff to determine future institutional IS needs, in order to propose alternatives for meeting needs, and to develop and implement transition plans from current to future state.
- Bachelor' s of Science Degree in Computer Science or related field preferred
- 8 - 10 years related experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to design and maintain overall information technology architecture, security and procedures based on a Windows infrastructure with integration of OS X and Linux.
- Knowledge of Oracle storage system, Zmanda software a plus Knowledge of scientific and image processing software applications, such as AFNI and MATLAB
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to research, plan, design and implement (install, test, and modify) complex information systems and subsystems to meet broadly defined needs.
- Ability to understand computer hardware and systems software problems, and to communicate technical guidance and information to users.
- Able to establish and implement customer service function, within a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to provide operational guidance and leadership to technical staff, and to manage employees in rapidly changing technical field.
- Knowledge and understanding of information services needs within an academic/research environment.